By being prepared, you do away with the nagging sense in the back of your head of, ‘What would I do if?’ It just frees you up. I want people to have that liberated, swaggering feeling outside.
— Steven Rinella
Steven Rinella (@MeatEater, @StevenRinella) is the host of the Netflix Originals series MeatEater and The MeatEater Podcast. He’s also the author of seven books dealing with wildlife, conservation, hunting, fishing, and wild foods, including his newest, The MeatEater Guide to Wilderness Skills and Survival.
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually Athletic Greens, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, Athletic Greens is offering you their Vitamin D Liquid Formula free with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit AthleticGreens.com/Tim to claim this special offer today and receive the free Vitamin D Liquid Formula with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as added value when you try their delicious and comprehensive all-in-one daily greens product.
This episode is brought to you by 99designs, the global creative platform that makes it easy for designers and clients to work together to create designs they love. Its creative process has become the go-to solution for businesses, agencies, and individuals, and I have used it for years to help with display advertising and illustrations and to rapid-prototype the cover for The Tao of Seneca. Whether your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99designs.
You can work with multiple designers at once to get a bunch of different ideas or hire the perfect designer for your project based on their style and industry specialization. It’s simple to review concepts and leave feedback so you’ll end up with a design that you’re happy with. Click this link and get $20 off plus a $99 upgrade.
This podcast is also brought to you by The Ready State Virtual Mobility Coach. The first person I call for help with my athletic recovery or mobility training is Dr. Kelly Starrett at The Ready State. Kelly is a mobility and movement coach for Olympic gold medalists, world champions, and pro athletes.
Kelly created a program called Virtual Mobility Coach. It’s like carrying a virtual Kelly Starrett in your pocket. Every day, Virtual Mobility Coach gives you guided mobility videos. It walks you step-by-step through Kelly’s proven techniques to relieve pain and improve your range of motion. Right now, listeners of this podcast can try Virtual Mobility Coach totally risk-free for two weeks without paying a penny. And after that, you can get 10% off for life. Just go to TheReadyState.com/Tim and use code TIM10 at checkout. Relieve pain, recover faster, and improve your performance in the gym with The Ready State Virtual Mobility Coach.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Want to hear Steven’s round one episode? Listen to this conversation in which we discuss how Steven got me to overcome my lifetime aversion to hunting, why the conservation-minded non-hunting crowd should care about the decline in hunting and fishing license sales in the United States, the politics of reintroducing predator species to popular hunting grounds, close encounters of the grizzly kind, and much more.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Steven Rinella:
- The MeatEater Guide to Wilderness Skills and Survival by Steven Rinella (December 2020)
- MeatEater | Netflix
- The MeatEater Podcast
- Steven Rinella on Hunting (and Why You Should Care), Reconnecting with Nature, Favorite Trips, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show #470
- Extreme Cold and the Perplexing Case of Paradoxical Undressing | Digital Dying
- The Differences Between Mammoths & Elephants | Sciencing
- Wilderness Survival Rules of 3: Air, Shelter, Water, & Food | Backcountry Chronicles
- NRS Pick-of-Life Ice Awls | Amazon
- Coming into the Country by John McPhee
- Annals of the Former World by John McPhee
- The Geology of Mount Everest | LiveAbout
- GPS Map Apps for Hunters and Off-Road Enthusiasts | onX
- inReach Satellite Communication | Garmin
- Hiking Trail Maps, Hunting Units, 4×4 Offroad App | Gaia GPS
- Google Earth
- DEET Is the Most Effective Bug Spray. But Is It Safe? | Time
- Ten Years Ago, Kim Family Endured Wilderness Tragedy | The News-Review
- Garmin Earthmate GPS Navigation App
- Is a Bowie Knife a Good Survival Knife: Everything You Need to Know. | Rogue Survival
- Outdoor Research Backcountry Organizer | Amazon
- How to Make a Fire with Cotton Balls and Vaseline | The Oregonian
- How Volcanic Ash Can Bring Down an Airplane | The Verge
- There’s No Place As Beautiful As The Frank Church Wilderness In Idaho | Only In Your State
- Mad Max | Prime Video
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- How To Start A Fire With A Bow Drill: The Art of Fire | Penguin Books UK
- Synergy Series Organizer Bags | FHF Gear
- Leatherman Wave Plus Multitool | Amazon
- Benchmade Bugout 535 EDC Manual Open Folding Knife | Amazon
- Splinter Tweezers | Amazon
- Rambo: First Blood | Prime Video
- Confiscated Items at Ketchikan Airport | Steven Rinella, Instagram
- Nalgene Water Bottles | Amazon
- MSR Dromedary Bag Water Reservoir, 6-Liter | Amazon
- Water Purification Tablets (20 Pack) Chlorine Dioxide | Aquamira
- Steripen | Katadyn
- Water Pump Filters | Katadyn
- Swiss Safe Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (4-Pack) | Amazon
- F-150 Truck | Ford
- Truck Bed Tool Boxes & Organizers and Cargo Van Storage System | Decked
- 10 Reasons to Add Glow Sticks to Your Survival Kit | Backdoor Survival
- US GI Military Original Issue E-Tool | Amazon
- 10 Best Alcohol Stoves for Ultralight Backpacking | Greenbelly
- Ghillie Suits | Amazon
- A Love Affair with Freeze-Dried Food | Steven Rinella, Outside Online
- OFD Foods (Formerly Oregon Freeze Dry)
- Freeze Dried Food | Mountain House
- Backpacking Food, Meals for Adventuring | Heather’s Choice
- Peak Refuel
- Dehydrated Vs. Freeze Dried Food: What’s Best? | Off the Grid News
- Long-Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) | Military Wiki
- An Introduction to the Maillard Reaction: The Science of Browning, Aroma, and Flavor | Serious Eats
- A Space-Age Food Product Cultivated by the Incas | The New York Times
- Children of Llullaillaco | Wikipedia
- Museum of High Altitude Archaeology | Salta, Argentina
- The Ring | Prime Video
- Crampons | Wikipedia
- The Macushi: The Guyana Tribe in Search of a Lost Identity | BBC News
- Survival fantasy versus survival reality and common misperceptions. [06:07]
- What is paradoxical undressing, and is it as risque as it sounds? [08:42]
- What are some of the ways you can buy yourself a margin of safety when you’re facing the wilderness and its elements? [15:20]
- Practical uses for onX, inReach, and other GPS systems when you need to navigate your way into and out of the middle of nowhere, make emergency contact with the outside world, or just meander around a new neighborhood without accidentally trespassing on someone’s property. [17:21]
- Essentials on which Steven relies–in a variety of circumstances–that less seasoned adventurers might forget (or just not know) to pack. [30:06]
- What is Steven’s preferred multi-tool? [44:35]
- Recommendations for securing water in different types of terrain. [50:24]
- Items people should always have in their cars — whether they’re going camping, visiting relatives a few hours away, or just commuting to the other side of town. [1:00:46]
- Why you should be prepared to source your own water — even if you live in a major metropolitan area where finding it isn’t something you’re used to thinking about. [1:08:19]
- Not just for astronauts and infantry: Steven explains the good, the bad, and the ugly behind the space-age miracle of freeze dried food. [1:11:31]
- Something you can try at home: an incidental steak-searing trick requiring only a common household freezer. [1:19:38]
- What the Inca knew about keeping potatoes and human sacrifices intact with their own version of freeze drying circa 1490. [1:20:20]
- What does Steven hope and feel the psychological benefits will be for readers of The MeatEater Guide to Wilderness Skills and Survival? [1:24:10]
- Even if Steven were otherwise rational to a cyborg level of efficiency, what seemingly non-rational practice would he still bring with him into the wilderness (even at the risk of being ridiculed by others)? [1:27:32]
- In a life so far filled with adventures aplenty, what still remains on Steven’s bucket list? [1:30:55]
- Parting thoughts. [1:32:47]
Related and Recommended
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 500 million downloads. It has been selected for “Best of Apple Podcasts” three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it’s been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.