According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Breastfeeding reduces the risk of Sudden Death Syndrome by up to 50% at all ages throughout infancy. Medical consensus advises that babies be fed exclusively with breast milk for a period of up to 6 months.
At birth, most babies feed every 2-3 hours. By the six months, feeding every 4-5 hours is more common.
The need to pump and store milk arises in situations where moms need to be away from their babies. This need is even more apparent for working moms who have a young baby to feed.
In those cases, moms may be overwhelmed by the number amount of breast pump options in the market. That is why we took the time to sift through the bulk and present the very best.
Best Breast Pumps in 2021
11 Best Breast Pump: Detailed Insight
#1. Top Consumer’s Choice: Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump
The Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump is an award-winning Breast pump that helps you to store away your baby breast milk. This manual breast pump lets you store away breast milk for future use without relying on an expensive electric pump.
The Haakaa breast pump is lightweight and perfect for portable storage bags. It also comes with a storage base that sticks to surfaces.
Unlike an ordinary electric or manual pump which requires a considerable amount of effort to use and keep clean, the Haakaa Silicone breast pump doesn’t require any effort or machine to express milk. It is a mo s t have for exclusively pumping moms and moms who are just looking for a way to collect let-downs while breastfeeding their babies.
How does it work?
The Haakaa breast pump works by using natural suction power to draw the milk out of your breast. It is a hands-free breast pump.
Steps For Using the Haakaa Breast Pump
- Before using the Haakaa breast pump, ensure that it is properly washed and sterilized.
- Squeeze the bottom part of the pump and position the flange over your nipple.
- Release the pump to make it suction to your breast.
- Allow the Haakaa Breast Pump to collect the appropriate amount of milk and store it safely for future use.
- Haakaa Silicone breast pump does not require any manual effort to use.
- It is a suction device that does not irritate the breast.
- It helps you store away any let-down that may occur as you feed your baby.
- It has a suction base that prevents it from spilling when it’s kept on a flat surface.
- It is not an electric pump.
- It is not a hospital-grade breast pump.
The Price for purchasing the Haakaa Silicone breast pump is $12.94
#2. Best Electric Pump For Travel: Spectra S1 Plus Electric Breast Pump
The Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump is a portable electric breast pump. It is created with suctioning technology that mimics the activity of breastfeeding as closely as possible.
A perfect device for an on-the-go Mum, it can be recharged and used away from the home. The Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump carries a backflow protector that creates a complete physical barrier between your milk and the pump motor ensuring that your milk is well-protected.
How does it work?
The Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump is designed to bring comfort and the ability to pump discretely for moms. The very effective electric pumps it carries can serve as hospital-grade pumps. You can use your Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump by:
- Putting your Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump on stimulation mode to trigger a let-down for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After you trigger a let-down, switch to expression to massage, knead and squish each breast.
- It can fully empty the breast during a pumping session and stimulate milk flow.
- It is created with a closed system that is more hygienic to use.
- Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump comes with a quiet motor that is discreet enough; even for public situations.
- It can be used as a double electric pump.
- The Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump is a hospital-grade pump.
- Having to charge the battery may serve as an added task when you want to travel.
The Components and Accessories of Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump
- Spectra S1+ main pump
- Power adaptor
- Bottle x 2
- Slow flow soft teat x 2
- Tubing x 2
- Cap x 2
- Disc x 2
- Wide neck breast shield (24mm size) x 2
- Backflow protector x 2
- Duck valve x 2
You can purchase the Spectra S1 Plus Electric breast pump for $245.
#3. Best Wearable Electric Breast Pump: Willow Wearable Breast Pump
The Willow Wearable Breast Pump is one of the few electric pumps that allows users to discretely express milk without having to be confined to a chair. It does not have a wire or duct and can fit perfectly in a bra.
This portable electric breast pump can help with milk collection as you go through your daily activity. You can discretely wear one and take a walk or go through an exercise routine.
How does it work?
The Willow Wearable Breast Pump is a double electric pump. A new set of this device comes with a manual which should be read properly before you start using the pump.
- Connect the flanges with the breast pump.
- Press the start button. When you press the start button, the machine will start in stimulation mode.
- When it is through with stimulation it will automatically launch an expression mode.
- You can increase or decrease suction as you express milk with the Willow Wearable Breast Pump.
- The Willow Wearable Breast Pump has an application that keeps track of all activities on the electric pump and helps you monitor the amount of breast milk extracted.
The Components and Accessories of Willow Wearable Breast Pump
The Willow Wearable Breast Pump pack comes with:
- Willow Pumps x 2
- Flanges x 2
- Flextubes™ x 2
- Recyclable milk bags
- Cleaning Brushes x 2
- The Willow Wearable Breast Pump is a rechargeable electric pump.
- Using the Willow Wearable Breast Pump can boost increase your milk supply.
- It does not carry any wires or tubes and comes with support for tracking the amount of milk flow as you pump.
- It is portable and can retain a charge for up to 3 pumping sessions.
- Even though you get what you are paying for, The Willow Wearable Breast Pump is not overwhelmingly cheap.
- You have to be ready to learn to use the technology on this product to enjoy its full range of functions.
The price for purchasing a Willow Wearable Breast Pump starts at $529
#4. Best Manual Breast Pump: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
The best manual breast pump is the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump. It comes with a nipple shield, membrane, valve, connector, and bottle.
The ease of operation ensures that you can use your Harmony Medela pump in style. It is also very portable and comes with a very simple instructional guide manual.
How does it work?
- Wash and sanitize your Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
- Wait until fully dry. Then, inspect and assemble the parts
- Position the shield in a comfortable position
- Begin with fast strokes to stimulate milk flow
- As the milk begins to flow, switch to deep slow strokes for the expression phase.
- Store the milk collected in a safe container or refrigerator.
- Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump is a portable manual pump.
- It is easy to use. You can adjust the suction to the most comfortable level as you manually pump.
- This manual pump has a 2-phase expression technology.
- The manual breast pumps allow mothers to pump more milk in less time.
- It is a manual pump.
- It is not a hospital-grade pump.
The Components and Accessories of Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
- Bottles and lid x2
- Bottle stand
- Membranes x 2
The selling price of the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump is $50.49
#5. Best Pump for Mums who Pump Several Times a Day: Medela Pump In Style Advanced On-the-Go Tote
The Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote is a double electric breast pump that is capable of supporting mums who pump several times a day. This breast offers a quiet pumping mechanism ideal for discrete pumping anywhere.
This double electric pump is a product from Medela, a trusted breast pump brand. It is one of the three bag styles available which include:
- On-the-go Tote
- Metro BagTM
How does it work?
Just as is the case with a hungry baby, The Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote starts with a fast and light sucking action to get the milk flowing. This stage is known as the stimulation phase.
After the appropriate stimulation, the machine goes into an expression phase which mimics the slow and deep swallowing action of your baby after a let-down. The Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote is strong enough to support daily breast pumping.
- The Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote comes with a sleek Microfiber tot bag.
- It is a portable machine that can be used as either a single electric breast pump or double electric pumps
- It carries a battery pack that lets you pump anywhere and at any time.
- The Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote uses 2-phase expression technology that closely mimics the way a baby will breastfeed.
- You need to find the time to recharge the batteries if you want to use them away from home.
- Like every other breast pump in the market, the Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote may not be covered by your insurance package.
The Components and Accessories of Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote
- Medela Pump in Style Breast Pump
- Rechargeable battery pack
- Cooler bag
- Contoured ice pack
- Breast milk bottles with lids x 4
- A set of PersonalFit Breast Shields 24mm
- Breast shield connectors
- Valves x 2
- A set of tubing
- An AC adaptor
You can purchase the Medela Pump In Style Advanced On-the-Go Tote at $299.99
#6. The Best Manual Pump for Moms who want to lay back and Pump: Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump
The Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump is uniquely designed to promote pumping and milk flow in a relaxed fashion. Moms can lay back while they pump. It is also a good choice for moms who want the freedom to pump anywhere and anytime.
The Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump comes in handy for the occasional days where you need to be away from your baby. You can also pump milk completely separate from the breast your baby is feeding with at a time to maximize the use of your let-downs.
How Does It Work?
The Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump comes with an easy-to-use handle that gives the ability to sit comfortably while pumping. It is easy to use, clean, and compatible with the Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump.
- The Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump is easy to assemble, disassemble, or clean.
- It is portable enough to fit into a launch box.
- You can easily interchange the components of this manual breast pump with those of all other Avent breast pump products.
- Using this manual breast pump can cause more milk flow.
- It is a manual breast pump
- It is very light and portable you may forget you are carrying a breast pump.
The Components and Accessories of Philips Avent Manual breast pump
- Philips Avent Manual breast pump
- Silicone teat bottles x 2
- Storage x 3
- An Adapter
- An insulating bag
- Disposable breast pads x 6
The price for purchasing a Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump starts at $44.99
#7. Best Portable Electric Pump: Medela Freestyle Flex Double Electric Breast Pump
Medela Freestyle Flex Double Electric Pump is a cordless, lightweight, and compact set of breast pumps. It comes with an interesting modern design and easy to use digital user interface and backlight.
This set of portable breast pumps is designed for Moms who lead busy lives. It is small enough to fit into your pocket, purse, or baby bag.
How does it work?
This electric pump can be used by moms who pump several times a day. It comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts for up to 2-hours of use.
The Medela Freestyle Flex Double Electric Pump is a closed system with overflow protection on kits that prevents your breast milk from spilling.
It also has other useful features such as:
- A count-up timer.
- Delay start and pause functions.
- Pump setting and battery charge indicators.
- USB port for powering and charging the breast pump wherever you are.
- It takes only a relatively short amount of time to express milk using the Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump.
- This breast pump does not leak or get messy.
- It is a portable double electric pump.
- You can connect this breast pump with the MyMedela app to track your breast pumping sessions.
- You need to use an electrical outlet to charge this breast pump.
- It is designed to be compact and wireless. If you are not careful, you can misplace your charging adaptor or any of the peripherals that come with this breast pump.
The Components and Accessories of Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump
The Medela Freestyle Flex Double Electric Pump kit comes with:
- Freestyle Flex™ double electric breast pump
- Medela PersonalFit Flex™ breast shield size 21 mm (x 2)
- Medela PersonalFit Flex™ breast shield size 24 mm (x 2)
- Medela PersonalFit Flex™ connector (x 2)
- 150 ml breast milk bottle (x 4)
- Lids (x 4)
- Bottle stands (x 2)
- Power adaptor and USB cable
- A Bag
- A Cooler
You can purchase the Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump at $319.25
#8. Best Hospital Grade Pumps: Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump
The Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump is a hospital-grade pump. It uses two pumps shared between each side.
It is easy to control and can be used as a single or double electric pump. Medela was founded in 1961 and is recognized as an expert advocate of breastfeeding.
How does it work?
The Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump helps Moms effectively initialize and maintain their milk supply. The two-phase breast pump mechanism is designed to closely imitate a baby’s breastfeeding actions.
The breast pumps that come with the Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump is built to protect moms from milk overflow. This machine can support several pumping sessions at a time.
- The Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump is a hospital grade pump.
- Given the right circumstance, it is much more easier to operate than a manual pump.
- It is powered by 2 electric pumps for maximum effectiveness.
- You can choose to go through multiple pumping sessions with a Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump.
- If you like the feeling of manual pumps, this pump is not for you.
- To enable this pump function as a proper hospital grade pump, its kit is sold separately.
The Components and Accessories of Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump
- Symphony breast pump
- Symphony 2.0 Program Card
- Container stand
- Quick start card
- Protector for card/cord
You can purchase the Medela Symphony Double Electric Breast Pump for $1,931.43
#9. Breast Pump With the Best Power Options: Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump
The Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump is a closed system double electric pump that makes it hygienic and safe for babies and prevents milk from getting into the pump motor or tubing. Using the Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump to express milk from both breasts helps to produce more milk in half the time it will require while using the single electric pump.
This double electric breast pump features comfortable flanges with a soft flexible rim. It also comes with a tote bag for storage and transportation.
How does it work?
The Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump is a hands free and convenient breast pump to use. As an electric breast pump, it has three power options:
- An AC adaptor for wall sockets.
- AA batteries.
- Car adaptor
- The Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump is made with custom flanges that are soft on the breast.
- These electric breast pumps come with an LCD display and easy to use user interface.
- The Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump closely mimics a baby’s pumping style for optimum milk expression.
- It is a closed system pump that protects moms from spills and prevents milk from getting into the motor or ducts.
- It is an electric breast pump.
- Even though it does not take a lot of time to use this breast pump, you still need to include it in your schedule.
The Components and Accessories of Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump
- Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump base unit
- Storage bottles (x2)
- Flange bodies (x2)
- Diaphragms (x2)
- Diaphragm Caps (x2)
- Collars (x2)
- Sealing disks (x2)
- ComfortFit flanges (x2)
- White valves (x4)
- Connection tubes (x3)
- Strap for tubing,
- Tubing connector
- Pump connector
- AC adaptor
You can purchase the Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Breast Pump at $81
#10. Best Multipurpose Breast Pump Option: Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump
The Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump is a portable electronic breast pump with a closed system. It comes with one of the most durable batteries for a breast pump of its range.
A new pack of the Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump comes with free milk bag adaptors, storage bags, BPA, and Phthalates.
How does it work?
The Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump has a very simple user interface design with a sensitive tough panel and high definition screen. Moms who use this breast pump will be able to observe the pump’s suction level, battery power, and timer on the go.
The Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump primarily focuses on helping moms with responsible and stress-free breastfeeding wherever and whenever they choose.
- The Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump has a large rechargeable battery capacity that allows it to be used for long pumping sessions.
- The console can be used as an emergency power bank.
- It is not noisy and can be to discretely pump milk
- This electric breast pump has a large number of suction levels to choose from.
- It may take a little getting used to for moms who are used to manual breast pumps.
- You have to remember to power the rechargeable battery if you want to use it on a journey or while away from an electrical outlet.
The Components and Accessories of Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump
- The Bellababy double electric breast pump
- Milk bag adapters (x2)
- Storage bags (x10)
The Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump can be purchased at $59.69
#11. The Smartest Wearable Breast Pump: TENDENZA Wearable Electric Breast Pump
Tendenza Wearable Electric Breast Pump is a wearable electric pump and smart adjustable suction technology. The nipple shield and container that come with this breast pump are made from food-grade PP+Silicone material that is BPA-free.
This wearable electric pump comes with closed system pumps that seal off the milk from the pump to ensure better hygiene. It is also supported by a 1000mAh battery capable of supporting up to 4 pumping sessions.
How does it work?
The TENDENZA Wearable Electric Breast Pump has 2 modes and 9 intensity levels the allow moms to smartly control their pumping sessions. It is created with a closed system that helps protect against leakages and keep the hygiene of your breast milk.
This electric breast pump comes with breast shields and soft padding to make the breast pumping experience comfortable. You can easily operate this pump using its LCD display and memory capacity.
- The Tendenza Wearable Electric Breast Pump is portable enough to fit into a purse.
- It has is a closed system pump.
- The parts of this portable breast pump that come in contact with the milk or body are made from food-grade Silicone material.
- Moms can wear this breast pump and move around. It does not restrict them to one place.
- The Tendenza Wearable Electric Breast Pump is not a manual breast pump.
- It is not a hospital-grade pump.
The Components and Accessories of Tendenza Wearable Electric Breast Pump
- Milk Collector
- Silicone Shield
- Silicone diaphrame
- Pump Motor
- USB cable
- Bra adjustment buckle
You can purchase the Tendenza Wearable Electric Breast Pump for $65.99
How We Rank the Best Breast Pump?
We have placed a strong emphasis on the qualities of each pump. Special considerations were also placed on the caliber of reviews placed on the pumps by verified buyers.
Each of the breast pumps on this list is among the very best in its niche. The best breast pumps discussed above are easy to use and are backed up by company customer care support.
Parents around the world value the bonding time they spend with their babies, each of the pumps in this ranking can support multiple pumping sessions. Both the manual and electric pumps closely imitate a baby’s feeding pattern.
Aside from their merits, the breast pumps in this ranking come from manufacturers with a good track record. The best breast pumps we thought, should have a good name.
How to Choose the Best Breast Pump for Breast Milk?
Every set of moms and babies are different. While one mom may be a working-class mom, another may just want to relieve an engorged breast.
Babies also have different needs and feeding patterns. While one baby may prefer to take a larger amount of milk at longer intervals, another may be inclined towards taking smaller amounts over shorter intervals.
It is up to the mother to put the baby’s needs and her present situation into consideration while she makes the choice of what breast pump she needs.
Conclusion: Best Breast Pump
If you are looking to buy a long-lasting and easy-to-use breast pump, you could settle for any of the breast pumps in this ranking. If however, you need to give your baby and yourself the very best experience, the Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump stands out. It is arguably the best breast pump for moms around the world.
The Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump is a manually operated pump that can be used anywhere and at any time. Its unrivaled portability and sleek design make it a good choice for moms who are always on the go.
Today, breast pumps are a vital accessory to the modern mom. The use of breast pumps should however not be prioritized over breastfeeding.
Whether they are manual or electrically operated, breast pumps should be used as a device for supporting actual breastfeeding.
Breast Pump FAQs
What is a Breast Pump?
A breast pump is a device that helps with the expression of milk for storage and subsequent use by the baby. There are two kinds of breast pumps available.
The manual breast pump is operated by hand and an electric breast pump is operated using electricity. Some electric breast pumps can use batteries to store charges so that moms can use them when they are away from home.
Health benefits of using breast pumps?
Breast pumps are medical devices that are regulated by the United States Food and Drug Administration. They can be used to:
- Increase or maintain a woman’s milk supply.
- Relieve engorged breast.
- Pull out flat or inverted nipples.
How does breast milk help a baby’s development?
Breast milk contains antibodies and vitamins along with the ideal nutritional requirements for infants. It contains protein, fat, and everything babies need to grow in the right proportion.
Breast milk is easily digestible by babies. Breastfeeding is a good way of protecting against infections and diarrhea.
Breastfed babies have higher chances of attaining brighter IQ scores later in life. Physical closeness, skin-to-skin contact, and eye contact all help baby’s bond with their parents and feel more secure.
Like this Article? Subscribe to Our Feed!
Author: John V
John is an avid researcher and is deeply passionate about health and finance. When he’s not working, he writes research and review articles by doing a thorough analysis on the products based on personal experience, user reviews and feedbacks from forums, quora, reddit, trustpilot amongst others.